Our handpicked excursions
A Hidden Paradise
At the stunningly green region of Kato Daratso, this beautiful apartment complex awaits you a place where you have the opportunity to appreciate and relish the aspects of summer life and holiday in Crete: the sun, the sea, the Cretan hospitality, the wild landscapes, the chance to travel around one of the most beautiful and picturesque regions of Greece.
The nearby villages of Agia Marina and Platanias are the core center of tourism, entertainment and night life in Chania. In this coastal villages, there are several beaches, restaurants, bars, clubs, cafes, Go-Karts, water activities, children’s entertainment venues, mini-golf, supermarkets, pharmacy, ATM, post office, doctor’s office, car and bike rental companies, souvenir stores and more.
From the hotel complex you will reach the nearest beach about 15 minutes by slow walk. You will access beautiful beaches of Agii Apostoli or Chrysi Akti where you discover sandy beach with shallow crystal waters. This beach is organized with sun beds and umbrellas and with a lifeguard. This beach is ideal for families with young children as they can play with the sand and enjoy the sun, as well as swim and play safely in the sea.
The second largest prefecture of Crete, is picturesque, romantic and alluring. Chania boasts some of the worlds most famous beaches and an interesting places to discover. The architecture is a combination of archaeological, Venetian and modern buildings and it will win you over straight away. The captivating old Venetian harbour lines the coast of the town, adding romance to your walks. The famous Egyptian lighthouse, which is located at the far end of the harbour is one of the most iconic spots to soak in the sunset. With numerous tavernas, restaurants, bars, shops and stores, the town is buzzing with life day and night. Greek gastronomy enthusiasts should also pay a visit to the Municipal Market of Chania, also known as Agora where you can find all sorts of local products and Cretan delicacies.
World Famous Beaches
- Visit the well-known beach of Falassarna At this beach you will find clear crystal water and as well Cretan fauna. Along the way we recommend to visit the 13th Century Gonia Monastery (just 1km from Kolymbari village).
- Visit the lagoon well-known for the pink sand like beach of Elafonisos and stop at the Monastery of Chrysoskalitissa along the way.
- Balos lagoon and Gramvousa island – a full day trip by a ferry (available daily, from the port of Kissamos). For further information or on-line bookings, have a look at http://www.gramvousa.com
- Samaria gorge – This is the well-known gorge of Samaria, where thousands of visitors come to Crete and hike this gorge. This is full day trip of 15km hike. You can do it on your own by use of the local bus service from Chania central bus station or, and this is more convenient for you, by organized tour
- Therisso gorge: This is a unique gorge as it is one that you drive through to reach the village of Therisso where there are several tavernas.
- Imbros gorge – A short and easy hike (about 8km) that starts at originates from the last houses of the village and end at Komitades village. Once at Komitades village you can take a taxi back to your car (or if you are up to it, hike all the way back).
- Diktamos gorge – Hike the 7km gorge of Diktamos. This begins at Katochori village Malaksa and ends in Stylos village (or vice versa). The hike takes about 3 and a half hours each way. At Stilos village visit the church of Agios Ioannis Theologos and enjoy a drink/ meal at one of the taverns.
- Visit the ruins of the ancient city of Polyrinia which is considered to be the oldest city that the Dorians built in Crete (Minoan Period).
- Visit the Archaeological Museum of Kissamos
- The Eleftherios Venizelos tombs: are located high above Chania centre and old town with breathtaking views) in the direction of Chania airport.
- Aptera archaeological site – This small archaeological site (ancient town of the Minoan era) is well worth a visit. From here there are wonderful sea views to the port of Chania (Souda) and the Akrotiri peninsula.
- Lake Kournas – The only freshwater lake in Crete! A good small trip to take with the family to enjoy the wonderful views to the mountains, lake and the sea. Walk around the lake, paddle-boat, feed the ducks and have a snack/lunch at one of several cafes/taverns.
Lotus Hotel Apartments
Kato Daratso – Chania – Crete
Tel: +30 28210 31660
Fax: +30 28210 34003